City : Apprenticeships Aerodrome : How to Make the Most of an Apprenticeship
Why Make the Most of an Apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a fantastic opportunity to gain practical skills and useful knowlege that results in a professional qualification.
If you put lots of effort in to learning those skills, you'll be able to use them successfully in your future career - an apprenticeship could also lead to a full-time job with your apprenticeship employer if they see you're a hard worker!
Even if they don't have any jobs available after you finish your apprenticeship, showing them your key skills will mean the employer is likely to give you a shinning reference for future careers.
How do I Make the Most of it?
Before you start
So that you can make the most of it, it's important to check a few things before you start...
- Where do you need to get to when you arrive on your first day?
- How are you going to get there and what time will you need to leave to get there on-time? Always leave some extra time in case there is traffic or a delay on the train!
- Do you need to bring anything on your first day?
- Do you have the phone number of your manager or reception so you can call if there is a problem getting there?
- Have you given your mobile number to someone in the office so that they can contact you?
- Do you have to wear anything specific on day one; is there a uniform, if so where will you get it and do you need to pick it up beforehand? (P.S. If there is no uniform then go smartly dressed!)
During the apprenticeship
If you're currently doing an apprenticeship there are things to remember...
- Make sure you're always punctual, arrive on-time and warn people if you are going to be late.
- Try and be enthusiastic - smile and enjoy the experience.
- Be polite and friendly to everyone that you work with.
- Remember to turn off your mobile phone (or at least put it on silent) and don’t answer it while you’re at work!
- Be sure to check whether there are any bank holidays or days your training provider will be shut.
- Ask for help if you are struggling to understand your job or any of the information that goes along with it - you're there to learn!
- Take opportuntites to do new things and learn new skills when they arise (even if this may be a little scary)!
- Don't miss out by not turning up - The more you miss out on the harder it will be to catch-up, and what you don't learn now, you can't take with you in to your future career!
The benefits of an apprenticeship
Check out the video below where Mark talks about the benefits he has seen from apprenticeships in his company...