City : Careers Advice Hall : How do I figure out what I should do?
Working out what job you want can be one of the most difficult and scary things that you do.
But remember that once you get your first job you are not stuck in it for life. Your first job can be a stepping stone to other things.
Your first task should be thinking about yourself, so ask yourself these questions and be honest with yourself. Once you have thought about all of these you will start to have an idea of where you might be happiest working.
- What do I enjoy doing?
- What are my passions, interests and hobbies?
- Do I like working with people?
- Do I like working on my own?
- Do I prefer working in a team?
- Do I like working with animals?
- Do I like spending time out of doors?
- Do I want to work in an office?
- Do I want to do shift work?
- What do I find interesting?
- What am I good at?
- Do I have any specific skills?
- Do I prefer working with my hands and doing practical things
- Am I creative?
- Do I like working things out and solving problems?
- Do I prefer working with numbers or words?
- Do I have any work experience?
- What did my work experience show me about what I like/don’t like?
- Am I good at giving other people advice?
- Do I like helping other people?
- Do I like having regular working hours?
- Am I good with technology?
You should also try using this skills checker from the National Careers Service to show you that you may have more skills than you think.